Wednesday, November 25, 2009

high tea



Getting off work early is something so rare in advertising... so the day i did, i marvelled at the world outside. I have almost forgotten what the streets look like at 5 30 pm. What the colour of the sky is on working days. How many people travel homeward on park street, how the cafes welcome dusk, how lovers/college goers cozy up with cups of coffee, how the demand for puchka rises, how the hoardings light up and the city goes into a different mode altogether.


anyway, i had to do my weekly grocery so i stepped into Spencer's and couldn't for the life of me find a certain variety of 'saag' and out of sheer embarrassment couldn't ask anyone! a married woman can't identify vegetables. what could be worse. SO i bought the rest of the stuff on my list and walked home balancing two heavy bags.


But this feeling of incompetence changed once i stepped inside, i dropped my keys off where they belonged, shoved the veggies in the fridge and settle down on my favourite spot with a steaming cup of Castleton tea and a chocolate pastry from flurry's. Completely at leisure i felt good about life. I for once tasted independence and it felt great. I was sitting in my apartment, i pay for it too, enjoying things I've bought with my own money and watching the TV that i purchased with my salary. I never felt like this when i stayed with mom, there though everything was mine but i had done nothing to earn it. There was a strange sense of satisfaction here, the little i have made out of life with sheer hard work made me feel so proud. From a girl with a completely sheltered life i have come a long way. And having felt good i lapsed lazily back into my musings as the aromatic taste of the perfectly blended tea worked like an elixir on me. So raising a toast to independence and married life, i said to myself...'what a wonderful world!'

2 comments:

  1. just wow..welcome to this life..i always wanted you to feel this way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they make tea cups like that any more.

    ReplyDelete